Friday, April 29, 2011

'Moulin Rouge' Is 'One Of The Best Movies Of All Time,' Joe Jonas Says

Before MTV News' 'Moulin Rouge' live stream Monday at 3 p.m. ET, Jonas recalls working with director Baz Luhrmann on Broadway's 'La Boheme.'
By Jocelyn Vena


Joe Jonas
Photo: MTV News

As we gear up for our "Moulin Rouge at 10: A Spectacular Spectacular MTV News Event" on Monday, we are remembering why the movie is so memorable a decade later.

Joe Jonas had the pleasure of working with the flick's director Baz Luhrmann back in 2003 as a member of the children's chorus in Luhrmann's Broadway production of Puccini's classic opera "La Boheme," and he has only the fondest memories of the experience.

"It was amazing," he told MTV News. "Funny story for you: I was in 'La Boheme,' [and] I remember being onstage and I didn't know what stage left or stage right was, and I was really confused, and he told me from the audience, he was like, 'All right, take a little bit to the stage left.'

"And I was really confused, and I was really embarrassed," he continued. "I didn't know what he was talking about. He literally walked up onstage and he acted like he was talking to me, and he whispered in my ear, like, 'Go a little bit to the left.' So, for me, the fact that a director would be so cool with me like that, from then on, I was so blown away that he was so cool."

Jonas, who has since gone on to superstardom and even starred in two successful TV musicals ("Camp Rock" and "Camp Rock 2") credits Luhrmann's forward-thinking vision in "Moulin Rouge" for pop culture's current obsession with the genre.

"I think he's an amazing director, and his credits are unbelievable," he said. " 'Moulin Rouge' is one of the best movies of all time, and there's no doubt in that. And I think it really has started a generation of music into TV [and] movies so openly."

MTV News will reunite Luhrmann, Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor to celebrate "Moulin Rouge at 10: A Spectacular Spectacular MTV News Event" on Monday, May 2, at 3 p.m. ET on MTV.com. The director and stars will be joined by co-star John Leguizamo, who played artist Toulouse-Lautrec, and Catherine Martin, who won the Oscar for costume design and art direction. Hosted by MTV News' Josh Horowitz, the live stream will include special appearances and live interviews while looking back at how the film came to be and how its legacy continues to grow.

To get in on the fun, fans can submit questions for the "Moulin Rouge" director and talent via the @MTVNews Twitter handle with the hashtag #AskMoulin.

Don't miss "Moulin Rouge at 10: A Spectacular Spectacular MTV News Event" on Monday at 3 p.m. ET on MTV.com! Get in the conversation by tweeting @MTVNews with the hashtag #AskMoulin.

Rhona Mitra Rihanna Robin Tunney Rosario Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment