Monday, February 6, 2012

'Hunger Games' Stars 'Blown Away' By The Capitol

But Jennifer Lawrence is less excited about her singing: 'I am a horrible singer. And I'm an even worse person to be around when I'm singing.'
By Kara Warner, with reporting by Josh Horowitz


Jennifer Lawrence
Photo: MTV News

For our fellow "Hunger Games" fans who obsess over Suzanne Collins' brilliant books and their upcoming film adaptations as much as we do, there are so many things to love about the story that it's difficult to pick just one or two (or five) things we're looking forward to seeing when the movie opens March 23. But two of the most intriguing elements involved in the book-to-movie translation are what the Capitol will look like and how star Jennifer Lawrence will sound singing Rue's Lullaby.

MTV News was lucky enough to get a few hints about those specific topics during our recent chat with Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, both of whom can't wait to see the Capitol in the finished film but disagree about their excitement for Lawrence's singing skills.

"[I'm excited to see] everything in the Capitol," Lawrence said. "Every time we showed up at a Capitol scene, I was so blown away. Everything was more than you could have even imagined."

"What was cool about the stuff in the Capitol, so much was practical," Hutcherson added. "The whole apartment scene was all a set they built that was super, incredibly futuristic and amazing, and to see how that is integrated with the whole green-screen world as well is going to be really, really cool."

Lawrence was not quite as enthusiastic about hearing her voice in the film, however. When we brought up the subject, she seemed to immediately get nervous about it.

"Oh God, oh God. Yeah, I did [sing]," she said when asked about recording "Rue's Lullaby." "I'm a terrible singer."

"She's not," Hutcherson said.

"No, Josh! Stop," Lawrence said to Hutcherson with sincerity. "He is messing with everyone."

"She's been called the songbird of her generation," Hutcherson jumped in with a smile, referencing a Will Ferrell line in "Step Brothers."

"My voice is a combination of Fergie and Jesus," Lawrence played along. "No, I am a horrible singer. And I'm an even worse person to be around when I'm singing. I'm a terrible singer. I hated it."

Lawrence said the recording process with famed producer T-Bone Burnett was particularly excruciating.

"T-Bone Burnett, like, the best person to ever happen to music is, like, listening in the other room. I kept getting ready, and then the music would play, and I'd [freak out]," she recalled. "Nothing would come out of my mouth."

Check out everything we've got on "The Hunger Games."

For young Hollywood news, fashion and "Twilight" updates around the clock, visit HollywoodCrush.MTV.com.

Related Videos

Evangeline Lilly Eve Fergie Foxy Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment