Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Madonna Explains Cutting Lourdes' 'W.E.' Cameo

'I just kind of dragged her in at the last minute,' Madge explains to MTV News of her daughter's short-lived role.
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Josh Horowitz


Madonna
Photo: MTV News

Madonna worked with a number of skilled thespians on "W.E.," but when it came to one smaller role in the film, which opens Friday, the pop star/director knew of one up-and-comer she felt would be perfect for the role: her daughter, Lourdes.

"There was a scene where she played Wally as a young girl," she told MTV News about her daughter's role as the teen version of Abbie Cornish's character, a modern-day American obsessed with the romance between American divorcée Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII. "And I just kind of dragged her in at the last minute. It was quite unfair of me what I did and what I asked her to do."

Cornish teased Lourdes' appearance to us back in March 2011, but, as it sometimes happens in Hollywood, Lourdes' bit part will remain unseen. "But she was really great and then I ended up cutting her out of the film. Ruthless, I know," Madge teased. "I said, 'Sorry babe, you're on the cutting room floor.' She took it like a champ."

Making the choice to not include Lourdes was one of the many decisions the Queen of Pop had to make while shooting the film. But, hard decisions come easy to Madonna and the experience of shooting this film has only heightened her desire to direct more in the future.

"Yes, watch out Visconti!" she laughed. "No, I'm not a blockbuster kind of a girl, I don't think. But I do love the idea of making a sweeping epic romance. And now that I know how to make a film in three different countries, with several different time periods and lots of different accents; I think I'm qualified."

Do you plan on seeing "W.E." in theaters? Let us know in the comments section!

Related Videos

Robin Tunney Rosario Dawson Rose Byrne Rose McGowan

No comments:

Post a Comment